My last week’s blog was about what cellulite is
. As promised, I’m returning with ways you can prevent cellulite:
1. Physical exercise: Yes back to the basics, exercising does help prevent cellulite. It greatly decreases the blood concentration of insulin which means less fat and less cellulite. Lack of exercise in your chances of developing fat which if aggravated leads to cellulite.
2. Do not eat a lot of salt! It promotes fluid retention and raises the possibility of leakage into fat cells
3. Eat fiber! Lacking fiber increases pressure inside your capillaries, which again leads to fluid leaking out of your blood and into your fat cells
4. Do not eat fast absorbing carbs, for example too many sweets.
5. Keep your blood flowing from your legs to your heart: A good way to do this is stand up and raise you calves off the ground up and down (like a calf raise workout) for 5-10 minutes. It’s funny because I am actually doing them as I type since I have been in the library today sitting for 10 hours. This is a good exercise for not only students, but for those of you who work at a desk all day. If the lower limbs are not exercised enough, blood will build up in your lower limbs, which promotes leakage into your fat cells. I think we are starting to see a pattern!
6. If you’re stuck inside all day, seriously take the stairs and avoid elevators to get a bit of movement in during the day.
7. Avoid tight clothing such as wearing skinny jeans everyday! I know ladies, trust me I know tight clothing is our way of feeling sexy, especially those jeans that look so flattering, but try to minimize wearing tight bottoms everyday and save until the weekend. Try a skirt or a sexy flowing summer dress in the summer. Tight clothing can actually damage your leg muscles and make it difficult for the blood to get back to your heart.
8. Avoid high heels on a daily basis. Once again coming from a girl who is in love with her heels, sometimes you have to just wait until the weekend. Who cares, find a cute pair of pumas for the week. If you are at a 9-5 job where you are entitled to wear heels all day, take them off under you’re desk and bring a pair of comfys. High heels have the same effect as tight clothing so go nuts on the weekend with them!
9. If you are a smoking, smoke less, if you are a drinker, drink less: smoking decreases tissue oxygenation and alcohol increases fat formation.
10. Depression, anger, frustration, anxiety and stress can add to cellulite, so try to relax in every day life. I like to listen to classical music in a dark room or take a long bubble bath.
I’ve received many questions on twitter after my last blog such as, “WHAT IF I ALREADY HAVE CELLULITE? AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?” I will gladly let you in on some of my secrets next week...