I don’t need a calendar to know that it’s four weeks from the Ms. Bikini International. I have a handful of indicators
never fail to surface or make me laugh
when I’m about this far out from a show. Here they are:
1. Self-doubt TRIES to creep into my consciousness. No matter how dialed in my prep or how many times my trainer tell me that I am “on track,” my confidence is always tested around 3 to 4 weeks out. This seems to be a fairly universal phenomenon. I think its related to the realization that the show is so close with little time left to do work, combined with the awareness that you don’t look the part quite yet. Years ago, I would let the self-doubt take root. Now I do my best to laugh at it, focus on working hard and fix my mind on my end goal.
2. I start enjoying the taste of plain flax seed oil. After about a month of strict dieting, my taste buds transform and welcome just about anything that will keep my stomach from growling, including the usually not-so-appetizing flax seed oil.
3. Twelve hours between workout sessions starts to feel like a vacation.
4. I consume EVERY drop of my MyoFusion Pro shakes (the ultimate guilt-free pleasure). After drinking a MyoFusion Pro Cinnamon Roll shake, I use a spoon to scrape the bottom and sides of the cup. Then, I’ll stick my finger in the cup and wipe the sides clean. I may even lick the shaker cup screen, which usually results in dripping shake onto my clothes. It’s a small price to pay, if you ask me. ;-)
5. I have the unrelenting desire to shop. This seems to also be a universal feeling amongst female competitors.
6. I am captivated by commercials for things like Cheerios. Up until this point in my prep, I don’t even notice these commercials. In fact, I have not purchased cereal for myself in years. However, my eyes become glued to the TV and my mouth starts watering at the first sight of the precious crunchy processed carbohydrates swimming in cold milk.
7. Waterproof mascara becomes a must. I start getting very sentimental about 4 weeks out and that usually leads to tears. For instance, my Mom sent me a picture of my niece celebrating her first birthday, and I welled up. My husband told me how proud he was of me, and I turned on the water works. Thank goodness for waterproof mascara. lol
8. Freshly cooked food feels like a treat. Eating fish slime and not sure if its spoiled chicken is a competitor’s reality, especially if one has little time to cook regularly. By four weeks out, I don’t need pizza or some other decadent cheat meal to be satisfied; I’m incredibly grateful for a chicken breast or orange roughy cooked within the last 10 hours.
Can you relate to any of these? If so, let me know. We can laugh at ourselves together. Hit me up here, on Facebook or on Twitter.
All in all, prep is going great. I usually see big changes these last few weeks. I can’t wait to see the final results of my improvement season work.
Until next week, keep pushing toward your best.
IFBB Bikini Pro
Jaime Baird can be contacted for appearances through www.fmg-fitnessmanagementgroup.com